New Hope Student Activities
ANNUAL STUDENT ACTIVITIES
- Field Trips: PreK-12th grades 5-6 trips each year per class
- Student Mentor Program: 7th grade students mentor PreK-4th grade students weekly for 1 hr
- Community Service: Wednesday morning activities and various projects throughout the year
- Gambia Project: Raise funds for humanitarian projects in Gambia Africa
Summer trip to Gambia to perform community service projects with “Side-by-Side”
Funding for special projects: a well, a bridge, starting schools and preschools
- Spelling Bee: grades 4-8 compete, with the winner representing NHA in PG County Spelling Bee
- Geography Bee: grades 4-8 compete, with the winner testing to move onto state level
- Winter Holiday Performance: classes and dance teams perform for parents and friends.
- Terra Nova Testing: nation-wide standardized test taken in late April for grades K-8
PSAT: Pre Scholastic Aptitude Tests given in October for grades 9-11
- Field Day: K-12th grade classes participate in games, races & activities; older students mentor
- High School Prom: formal dance, usually held in the spring for grades 10-12
- Award Ceremony: June assembly honoring achievement in academics, physical education, . community service, homework completion and attendance etc...
- Graduation Ceremonies: Preschool graduation and High School graduation in early June
- Harvest Festival: food, fun, games and activities with funds going to class trips
- Music Department Performance: classes perform vocal and instrumental music
- International Night: food from around the world, student entertainment; funds go to PTO
- Dance Party: Social dances and parties offered during the year for various age groups
- Poetry Slam: original student poetry read by authors during evening dinner performance (8-12th)
- League recreational sports with practices and games (Pre-K intra-mural only)
- Flag Football, Basketball, Soccer, Track, T-ball, Tae Kwon Do, Cheerleading etc...
- Dance Companies: participate in performances and competitions at NHA and beyond
- Drama: Spring student musical and performance opportunities
- Spring recital & performance opportunities
- Tap, Hip Hop, Jazz, Modern, African, Classical Ballet, Spanish Flamenco etc...
- ACE: Association for Climate Change; “HS Green Team” promotes environmental awareness
- RoboTech Club: students build lego robots and compete
- Asian Club: learn about various aspects of a range of Asian cultures; food, music and traditions
- Anime Club: share, discuss, draw and collaborate among those with an interest in Anime
The offerings for sports, styles of dance, student clubs and activities vary from year to year depending on the interests of the students and the availability of qualified teachers and coaches.